Have you ever heard of a tatar tot hot dish? Well, this is a new twist on an old casserole! This is such a quick and easy recipe that we all love. No, it’s not super healthy or even kind of healthy, but it is what it is. If you are trying to avoid bread in your diet or cut out some calories leaving the bread out this is a great alternative. I find that serving this casserole with a big salad is a huge hit.
You can save a lot of calories by removing the bun. You are getting the best of both worlds. Plus pairing a scoop of the casserole with a salad can be mentally pleasing if you are in need of some comfort food. Really anything you put on your hot dog you can add to this casserole.
- 4 hot dogs sliced (more or less)
- 1 Can of hot dog sauce or chili
- 1/2 bag of tatar tots
- 4 ounces of shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 sliced green onions
- Line an 8-1/2 x 11 baking dish with foil then lightly spray with cooking spray. Line the foil with tatar tots (about 42).
- Bake tatar tots according to the bag directions. While the tatar tots are cooking warm up the chili and the hot dogs (Optional).
- When the tatar tots are crispy remove then from the oven.
- Next top the tatar tots with sliced hot dogs, then top the hot dogs and tatar tots with warmed up chili.
- Last add a generous amount of cheese and green onions.
- Bake Hot Dog HOT Dish at 400 degree for 15 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Serve Hot.