I made cashew chicken a few weeks ago that required a hoisin sauce. By the time I was done making it I was ready to tear the recipe apart and make changes. I wanted to give cashew chicken a try again, but I was gun shy about using that same recipe even with the changes I thought would make it even better.
I found this recipe on food.com and decided to give it a try. I was a little taken aback by the first ingredient… ketchup? I thought that sounded odd and I was fearful I was going to have another recipe like the last one.
I was way off bases about the potential of this new recipe. This recipe is perfect! It’s exactly everything you could want in cashew chicken. It’s absolutely restaurant quality. It honestly couldn’t be better in my opinion. I didn’t change a thing in this recipe. I thought it was perfect in every sinlge way!
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 4 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 whole chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
- 1⁄4 cup cooking oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh gingerroot, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced thinly
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups snow peas
- 1 1⁄2 cups cashews
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- Combine ketchup, soy sauce, salt, Worcestershire Sauce, sugar, sesame oil, cayenne pepper, and chicken broth in a medium sized bowl. Mix well and then set it aside.
- In an additional bowl, combine cornstarch, sugar, and salt. To the bowl toss in
- Toss the chicken with cornstarch mixture. I like using a zip bag for this.
- Heat a frying pan to a high heat and add cooking oil.
- When oil is hot add chicken.
- Add gingeroot, garlic and onion.
- Stir fry mixture until chicken is cooked through and opaque.
- Add bell pepper and carrots, stir fry until tender crisp about 2-3 minutes, then add snow peas.
- Continue to stir fry until tender crisp.
- Add ketchup and the soy sauce mixture to chicken and vegetables and cook until it comes to a boil.
- Add the cashews and serve immediately over a bed of white rice.