The theme for the Ultimate Recipe Swap this week is “What do you do to make Valentine’s Day a little sweeter?” This recipe is a wonderful childhood memory for me. I always make these brownies for Valentine’s Day… You just can’t beat Caramel, and Chocolate in one pan!
- 14 oz. package of caramels
- 2/3 cup evaporated milk
- 1 box German chocolate cake mix
- 3/4 cup softened margarine
- 1 cup nuts (walnuts and/or pecans)
- 12 oz. semisweet chocolate chips
- Combine caramels and 1/3 cup evaporated milk on top of double boiler (when’s the last time you heard “double boiler?”). Stir mixture until melted.
- Combine cake mix, remaining milk and softened margarine. Blend until mixture holds together. Stir in nuts. Press half of cake mixture in a greased 13×9 inch pan and bake for six minutes at 350 degrees.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle chocolate chips on top. Pour melted caramel evenly over top. Crumble remaining mix over caramel and bake at 350 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes. Cool slightly and cut into bars.