This recipe is incredible! I was trying to find a recipe close to one that a friend of mines mom would always make for pot luck Fridays. This recipe is exactly like hers. The flavor is amazing, and the smell while cooking is wonderful.
We had enough for dinner and lunch with this one recipe it certainly goes a long way. If you are in the market for a freezer recipe this would do the trick. Double the recipe and put one in the freezer for another time. Not only is it an easy recipe it’s inexpensive too!
You could also reduce the calories in this recipe by using the 40 calorie thin corn tortillas and use fat free soup and broth. Using less cheese wouldn’t hurt either… or would it? Thank you Roxi!!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can Rotel tomatoes & chilies
- 1/2 cup chicken broth (I used homemade chicken broth)
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 12-16 corn tortillas, ripped into bite sized pieces
- 2-4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In large saucepan, saute the onion and pepper in the butter until tender (about 5 minutes). Add soups, tomatoes, and broth. Stir to combine. Fold in the chicken until well blended.
- Lightly grease a 9 x 13″ baking dish. Layer with 1/3 the tortillas, 1/3 the chicken mixture, and 1/3 the cheese. Repeat layers twice more.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes this will also allow it to thicken up.