I made the mistake of making this casserole as a main dish. I have been trying to incorporate two meatless meals in our menu per week, but I haven’t been very successful. I made this for dinner thinking what a great meatless meal it would be when it truth it would have made a much better side dish. I don’t blame the recipe I blame myself.
As for the dish in general it has a great flavor, makes a great presentation, and doesn’t cost much to make. It smells great cooking, and turned out perfect. As I said before it would make a wonderful side dish for me the word casserole was misleading. Thank you Wildflour for the great recipe.
- 2 quarts chopped cabbage
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of celery soup 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup packed shredded American cheese or 1 Velveeta cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, less if desired
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup finely crushed butter flavored cracker
- 4 tablespoons melted butter, more if needed
- Cook cabbage 5-7 minutes in salted water, drain well.
- Combine soup, milk, cheese, salt and pepper in large bowl.
- Microwave til cheese melts and is creamy. Stir occasionally.
- Fold in cabbage.
- Pour into 1-1/2 quart casserole dish.
- Mix cracker crumbs and melted butter.
- Sprinkle evenly over top.
- Bake in 350º over for 30-40 minutes til bubbly.