This is an excellent recipe! It’s filling and full of flavor! I wasn’t sure if I was going to like it, but I didn’t… I LOVED it! I was so impressed by the amount of flavor that this recipe has! It’s just so good! The only change I made was that I added a few teaspoons of Tabasco Sauce to give it a little kick and some added flavor.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups fresh corn kernels (see Tip) or frozen, thawed
- 4 large tomatoes
- 1-1/2 cups cooked long-grain brown rice (see Tip)
- 1-15-ounce can black, kidney or pinto beans, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup prepared salsa
- 2 cups shredded iceberg or romaine lettuce
- 1 cup shredded pepper Jack cheese
- 2-1/2 cups coarsely crumbled tortilla chips
- Lime wedges for garnish
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and corn; cook, stirring, until the onion begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Coarsely chop 1 tomato. Add it to the pan along with rice, beans, chili powder, 1 teaspoon oregano and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until the tomato cooks down, about 5 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- Coarsely chop the remaining 3 tomatoes. Combine with cilantro, salsa and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon oregano in a medium bowl.
- Toss lettuce in a large bowl with the bean mixture, half the fresh salsa and 2/3 cup cheese. Serve sprinkled with tortilla chips and the remaining cheese, passing lime wedges and the remaining fresh salsa at the table.
*Save Calories by leaving the chips out! You won’t even notice the difference)