One of my favorite cooking shows is Down Home with the Neely’s! I love this husband and wife dynamic duo! They have such amazing chemistry in the kitchen that I find watching their cooking show both educational and entertaining. I saw the Neely’s making spicy sweet potato chips that I later turned into fries and knew I had the try them because I love sweet potato fries and I love spicy. As always they delivered with an amazing recipe that I am in love with. The sweetness of the sweet potatoes paired with the spiciness of just the right spice combination makes these fries a sweet and spicy delight! The only thing I changed from the original recipe was changing them from chips to fries.
- Peanut oil, for frying
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 large sweet potatoes, well scrubbed
- In a deep-fryer or heavy-bottomed pot, heat enough oil to come halfway up the sides of the pot, to 350 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, mix together salt, chili powder, smoked paprika, garlic powder, and black pepper.
- Using a mandoline or a sharp knife, thinly slice the sweet potatoes into 1/8-inch thick rounds. Add the sliced sweet potatoes to the hot oil and fry, in batches, until crisp and golden brown, about 3 minutes. Remove to a paper towel lined sheet tray and immediately sprinkle with the seasoning mixture. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve.
Category: Recipe 1