This is a really great side dish! It’s very easy to put together and bakes up nicely. The flavor is wonderful. In truth you could use any of the flavored cream cheese. I think the vegetable flavored or garlic flavored would be fantastic also.
- 3/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup spreadable chive and onion cream cheese
- 1 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 packages (20 ounces each) refrigerated shredded hash brown potatoes
- 1 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh chives, divided
- 1 tablespoons butter, cubed
- In a small saucepan, combine the first five ingredients. Cook and stir over medium heat until blended; transfer to a large bowl. Add potatoes; mix well.
- In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. or 3-qt. baking dish, layer a third of the hash brown mixture and a third of the cheese; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon chives. Repeat layers. Top with remaining hash brown mixture and cheese; dot with butter.
- Cover and bake at 375° for 35 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-20 minutes longer or until edges begin to brown. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Sprinkle with remaining chives.
Yield: 12 servings.