This is fantastic sweet banana bread. The Nilla Wafers truly made the bread fantastic. This was like eating a bread version of banana pudding. It was a bit labor intensive crushing the Nilla wafers, but a Ziploc bag and a rolling pin did the trick. I love this recipe and can’t wait to make it again. Fantastic doesn’t even being to describe it. You can’t beat it nice and warm.
- 1-1/2 cups flour
- 35 NILLA Wafers, finely crushed (about 1-1/4 cups crumbs)
- 2-1/4 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) margarine or butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 medium ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3/4 cup Walnut Pieces, divided
- PREHEAT oven to 350°F. Mix flour, wafer crumbs, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- BEAT margarine and sugar in medium bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until creamy.
- Add eggs; beat until light and fluffy. Blend in bananas.
- Add flour mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in 1/2 cup of the walnuts.
- Spread into greased 9×5-inch loaf pan.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup walnuts.
- BAKE 1 hour 10 min. or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 10 min. Remove from pan