This recipe was outside of my comfort zone because I do not typically like chicken salad. I think it’s the dominate roll the chicken takes in the recipes that I don’t particularly care for. I just happened to have all the ingredients and some extra rotisserie chicken that I didn’t want to waste so I thought I would give it a try. I am the only one in our house that isn’t a chicken salad fan so I figured it would get eaten regardless of my opinion of chicken salad.
I found this recipe interesting because it’s a little different than your typical chicken salad. I loved the surprising sweetness with the dried cherries and I loved the occasional crunch from the almonds. This recipe takes an old boring recipe and gives it a nice make over.
I really enjoyed this recipe! The only thing I would change next time would be severing it on plain white or wheat sandwich bread instead of a roll. The roll overwhelmed the chicken salad. When I used the leftovers on toasted sandwich bread it was fantastic!
- 1 pounds of rotisserie chicken
- ½-3/4 cup mayonnaise (I used light and ¾ cup)
- 1 tablespoon Spicy Brown Mustard
- 1/3 cup roasted, salted almonds, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup dried cherries, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup small-dice celery (from 1 stalk)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- *4 to 6 Kaiser rolls or sandwich-sized slices of focaccia or ciabatta bread (optional)
- *Bibb, Boston, or iceberg lettuce (optional)
- Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces and place in a large bowl.
- Add the mayonnaise, mustard, almonds, cherries, celery, shallot, and thyme and season with salt and pepper.
- Stir to evenly combine, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled, about 1 hour.
- If serving as sandwiches divide the chicken salad among the bread/rolls and top with lettuce.
Number of Servings: 6 (*Calorie Count Does not include roll or any toppings*)
- 192 calories per serving
- 9 carbs
- 11 grams of fat
- 17 protein
- 0 sugar
*Nutritional information found on www.myfitnesspal.com this information will vary based on the products you use.*
Check Out Our Online Recipe Book: www.CafeChatterbox.com