Pinterest is one of my favorite sites. I can spend hours just looking around at all the crafty and innovative ideas that people come up with. It's actually a terrible place for me to waste a lot of time. I can’t tell you how much inspiration I get from Pinterest and how many different pins I have tired. Each Friday I will be featuring something I have crafted, cooked, or found on Pinterest that I love!
Last Christmas I bought a Groupon deal for the Body Shop. I bought a lot of body wash which I gave as Christmas gifts and kept a few for myself. Sadly my body wash is almost all gone, and so are all the Body Shop locations around me. The closets one is about 1 hour away and I don’t get there as often as I would like too.
Yes, I could buy the body wash online, but in truth I am hoping they will bring back a holiday scent that I fell in love with last year… Spiced Pumpkin! Oh it’s divine!! It’s like showering with a pumpkin pie lol.
Although I love some of their flavors they are a little spendy, and many of them dry my skin out terribly those are the biggest reasons I am hold back when it comes to buying more. $8 for a little over 8 oz.! I think it a bit much. Sure for some people it’s worth it. I am not slamming them, their prices, or their products; I am just saying for me personally it’s a little high. I know their products derive from organic fruits and they have cost too.
Like I said if the Pumpkin Spice comes back I will be on my way there. I did see a scent on their website called Chocomania that sounds amazing too. Sounds like I will probably being going there sooner than a planned huh?
In the mean time I have found some Soft Soap Coconut scented bar soap that I have turned into body wash.
On one of my many visits to Pinterest I came across a recipe from the blog Kate J. Gibson that I have wanted to try… how to make homemade body wash. I have been putting it off because I couldn’t find the bar soap I was searching for. A few days ago I hit the jackpot at Wal-Mart …there it was right before my very eyes.
I made the recipe for the body wash, but I actually cut it down to 1/4 of the recipe because I wanted to make sure I liked it before I made the entire recipe, but in the end ¼ of the recipe was actually plenty for me to start with. I really love it!
The only thing I did different from the original recipe is I added ½ of a cup of coconut oil just to insure the softness of body wash I was looking for. I really hate having dried out skin after using body wash. Adding the coconut oil did the trick!
This recipe is fun to make and it’s fun to see exactly what you end up with. I ended up with creamy luxurious body wash. I have shared it with a few friends of mine who have ALL said they loved it too and have asked for the recipe. I hope you love it as much as we all did!!
- 1 bar of soap (I used Soft Soap Coconut Scrub)
- ½ tbsp. of Glycerin
- 4 cups water
- ½ cup pure coconut oil
- Grate your soap of choice with a cheese grater.
- Put your grated soap in a large pot with the water coconut oil and glycerin.
- Heat on medium heat until all of the soap is dissolved.
- When the soap is dissolved the water will look like murky dish water. Stop don’t panic! That’s what it should look like.
- Turn the heat off and cover. You will need to stop at this point to allow your soap to cool and coagulate. I recommend allowing it to set for a full day.
- After waiting your soap with be very thick like jelly.
- Next put the soap in a mixer or use a hand held mixer to mix the soap to a smooth consistency. I used my Kitchen Aid Mixer, and that did the trick. At this point you may find that you need to add water to your soap. I needed to add another 2 cups of water to mine for the exact consistency I like, but it’s up to you.
- You may choose to allow your soap to sit for another 12 hours to make sure it’s not too thick. For me it ended up being perfect.
- I used a funnel to put the body wash t into some clean containers and one small container that was a used body wash bottle. The small container can continue to be refilled as needed.
It actually made a lot!!The first thing I noticed about this shower gel is that it doesn’t suds up. It actually is more like a lotion but a soapy lotion. I really love it and I love the coconut oil addition because I find that it makes my skin soft and smooth after my shower. If you have time I highly recommend giving this recipe a try. It’s fun and turns out great!