I really like this recipe but even I will admit it’s kind of a pain to make. It seemed to take forever. Let’s put it this way it’s not something I would make during the week again. The flavor is fantastic and once you bite into these little flutes of fun you will probably agree they are worth the work just maybe on a Saturday. They are crispy, and delicious!
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 1/2 ounces queso fresco, crumbled (or sub. feta cheese)
- 12 corn tortillas
- oil (for frying)
- salt and pepper (to season)
- Bring saucepan of water and chicken to boil.Reduce heat to simmer for 15-20 minutes, until chicken is cooked.
- Remove from pan.
- After chicken has cooled, shred with 2 forks and set aside.
- Chop onion and mince garlic.
- Add onion and garlic to heated oil and sauté on low heat until onion is soft, but not browned.
- Mix in chicken and season with salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat and add in cheese.
- Mix well.
- Soften tortillas in the hot grease for just a few seconds on each side. This makes the tortillas much easier to work with
- Heat frying oil until small piece of tortilla floats and bubbles.
- Place chicken mixture in each tortilla, roll up tightly and secure with toothpick.
- I recommend putting tortilla in oil immediately, as they tend to crack and come apart if left sitting.
- Turn flautas frequently, cooking 2-3 minutes or until golden.
- Drain on paper towels and serve with sour cream and salsa, if desired.
Check Out Our Online Recipe Book: www.CafeChatterbox.com
Category: Recipe 1