I found that I had to bake it an additional 10 minutes to make sure the rice was well cooked, but that could have been just me. This recipe is low in calorie and high on flavor and it’s easy!
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans
- 1 (16 oz.) jar salsa
- 1 cup beef broth
- ½ Tbsp. chili powder
- ½ Tbsp. dry minced onion
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp oregano
- 1 pound raw chicken breasts (cut into bite size pieces)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Drain and rinse the black beans.
- To a 3 quart baking dish or an 8×8 baking dish add dry rice, black beans, corn, salsa, chicken broth, and spices. Stir until everything is well combined.
- Cut the chicken breasts into bite size pieces. Push the chicken pieces down into the rice salsa mixture in the casserole dish. Push them down as far into the liquid as they’ll go. Cover the casserole dish tightly with foil. Bake for one hour.
- Take the casserole dish out of the oven, test the rice with a fork to make sure it is tender. If it is not, recover the dish, return it to the oven, and bake for 10-15 minutes more. When the rice is tender, sprinkle the cheese over top and return the casserole to the oven for a few minutes, or until the cheese has melted.
- 224 calories per serving
- 26 carbs
- 5 grams of fat
- 19 protein
- 5 sugar
*Nutritional information found on www.myfitnesspal.com this information will vary based on the products you use.*