I love green bean casserole, my husband on the other hand, hates it!!! This recipe he actually loved! I love it too! I didn’t know if I would care for the subtle changes of this recipe from the original recipe but I thought the changes were great.
This recipe contains fresh mushrooms and I have to tell you that the fresh mushrooms are what makes this recipe. The mushrooms give the recipe a nice earthy flavor that really is fantastic.
The only thing I found weird about this recipe was adding the cheddar cheese to the top of the casserole. In all honesty the only suppose I could see for doing it is that it binds the casserole together. Other than that I don’t see the point. Personally I say save the calories!!
- 1/3 stick butter
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 cups sliced green beans
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (2.8-ounce) can French-fried onion rings
- A pinch of garlic powder, salt, and pepper
- 1 cup grated Cheddar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet. Sauté the onions and mushrooms in the butter.
- Boil green beans in chicken broth for 10 minutes and drain. Add the green beans, mushroom soup, onion rings, and salt, pepper, and garlic powder, to taste, to the onion mixture. Stir well. Pour into a greased 1 1/2-quart baking dish. Bake for 20 minutes, then top the casserole with the Cheddar and bake for 10 minutes longer, or until the casserole is hot and cheese is melted.