This recipe is not visually appealing, but it definitely takes comfort food to a whole new level! I started off using this recipe, but then I wanted to add my own twist to it. I made it the first time following the recipe to the letter, and it was wonderful. The second time I decided to add my own spin on it, and it was wonderful!
- 3 cups potatoes, peeled, boiled and cut into cubes
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 of a medium onion diced
- 2 cups condensed milk (like Carnation)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup Pepper Jack Cheese shredded
- 2 cups cook ham diced
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- Peel, and dice potatoes and boil until they are tender, drain and place in a baking dish
- While the potatoes are boiling cut ham into cubes and place in a frying pan along with the onion. Begin to pan fry until the onion is tender, but not brown. Add to the baking dish
- Gently combine the potatoes, ham and onions in the pan.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over a medium heat. Gradually add flour mixing constantly with a whisk, gradually add milk then add cheese and paprika.
- Heat until warm, melted and smooth. (Use a whisk and stir constantly)
- Pour white/cheese sauce over potatoes and meat and mix all together.
- Bake in preheated 350°F oven for 35-45 minutes (watch, until golden brown on top).